Apart from fun facts or amusement purposes of firearms, weapons play a substantial role in criminal investigation, criminal chasing, and defending your lives. Commonly, a story exists behind every firearm weapon. It can tell positive, as well as negative aspects of it.
To reduce the black sides of weapons, first of all, try to learn about their use. Whether it is a handgun, shotgun, and long gun, or pistol, its shape should be comfortable for use. If the form is not compatible with your position and mindset balance, it can create a dangerous situation. Even though the gun form, as a whole, has a part in shooter activity, but here we will talk about its butt shape. We will highlight how it can get alternated following our convenience.
But how to get rid of a Square Butt?
Butt generally referred to the as thicker or rounded ending of something. For instance, the end part of a rifle stock is the butt. It is a section of a gun that gets held by hand or shouldered.
However, the butt or back part of the weapon is also famous as gunstock, Buttstock, stock, or shoulder stock. It makes available structural pillar to gun portion from where barrel, action, and shooting mechanism carried out.
In a square butt revolver, the back portion of your gunstock is flat. The stock has lower corners. But the grip shape seems to be K or L. That is why people want to fix the square butt shape to a round butt. Round butting includes getting rid of metal at the blackstrap and from the lower corners of the gun frame. Let’s discuss some tips to do it.
Jig for grinding square butt
For grinding square shoulders, stock into a round form a jig is the only way to go. Different jigs are available in the market for this intention. The jig is a piece of metal. You put this piece of metal on the frame of your gun stock and then break up the metal in such a way that the final looks match according to your wish. I must say that square butt can get converted to round butt. But the conversion of round to square shape is an almost impossible task. So you can think once before doing this.
B&R fitting jigs
Just like people are conscious about their looks, they also seem aware of their belongings. If you are looking for a recoil pad fitting jig, then B&R fitting jigs are one of the best options. The rationale behind this is that these jigs call for escalating and adjusting on an angle no greater than one. It clings to the pad firmly with the craved surface in upward mobility. This position adds to the comfort level of the user. The Brownells jigs are made of aluminum. You must have stopped short as the grinding machine or tool would crash in the soft aluminum jigs.
Miles Gilbert Jigs
Another eye-catching choice of jigs is Miles Gilbert jigs. Their appealing power is due to stops for both toe and the heel. You can preset stopping for toe as well as for heel.
Preparing your jigs
Above mentioned jigs are expensive. Although you can avail of another alternative of B&R and Miles Gilbert, you can also manufacture jigs on your own.
Using old round grips
If you cannot avail of any fixture for shaping your firearm butt or can’t afford those fixtures, then you don’t need to worry much about this. You can use old round grips for this purpose. It is an easy, trouble-free process. For instance, you want to fix a square butt. Take an older round grip and use it as a template. Create an outline out of some tablet backers. Mark this outline on the target grip frame using a well point sharpie. Then grind it using a belt sander. You can use the dermal and coarse file or any other grinding piece of equipment to accomplish this task.
Which metal template can get used for fixing square-shaped butt?
Different metals get considered to resolve this issue. Even¼ a hard-edged steel cover allows you to change the K or L form of square butt to round butt model. Any hardened metal, aluminum, steel, or hardened steel are different preferences according to gun type. If there is no one, just wood grips can get used as a cut-out. Stainless steel is even easier to cut out than hardened one.
- No matter what method you are using, try to set proper angles at the heel and the toe.
- When scribing gets done with metal, it comes to an end while crushing up the wood circumference slightly if the person is too excited. So keep your nerves in control.
- It is easier said than to notify that if the scribe line gets eradicated. Chalk markers cannot get removed from the backside of the pad with no trouble. Comparatively, glass and poster markers were eliminated plainly via Windex and a paper towel without difficulty.
- You should not remove metal from the bottom of the frame. It makes your gun or revolver useless.
- If the butt is just one point, do not change it.
- But if the serial number gets marked on more than one site, you don’t need to be concerned.
- It would be best to keep in mind that it is an irreversible procedure. You cannot find your square butt form again. Sometimes it leads to more inconvenience. Resultantly you replace your weapon with a new one.
- Grinding via power means generating a considerable amount of heat. This high temperature is as much as necessary to alter the temper of the metal frame. It automatically leads to the weakening of the metal.
- To avoid the above mentioned trouble, try to use good quality fashioned files. Metal removal speed slows down, and less heat gets emitted.
- Another alternative is to go to a shop that has a facility of electrostatic ejection machining equipment. It is a precise way in which almost no heat gets generated.