Before we dive deep into the method for measuring a particular gun’s barrel length, let’s learn about the phenomenon and relationship between the fired bullet’s barrel length and speed. The barrel’s length is proportional to the time required for the gun powder to burn. When the barrel’s length is greater, the powder will take more time to burn, and eventually, you will get an increase in the bullet’s velocity.
Several factors are responsible for determining the bullet’s velocity other than barrel lengths, such as the gun’s weight, quality, and accuracy. To shoot at a higher velocity, we need to consider all these factors.
HOW TO MEASURE BARREL LENGTH CORRECTLY?
Below are some of the best methods for gun enthusiasts to measure the barrel’s length more precisely and accurately.
Measuring the barrel length of a revolver
Before measuring the barrel length point your revolver in a safer direction, as a precaution. The length of a revolver’s barrel is the distance measured between the cylindrical parts to the barrel’s last tip. Just try out the following steps to calculate a revolver’s barrel.
- First of all, unload the revolver by swinging the revolver’s cylindrical part to the outside and removing the bullets. Check the cylindrical portion well to make sure no bullet is remaining inside it.
- In the second step, you need to slide a long rod that is lesser in diameter as compared to that of the barrel inside the mussels.
- Once the rod gets inside to its maximum length, Mark that point of the rod near the barrel’s tip with a marker.
- Take the rod outside and measure the rod’s length, which indicates the length of the revolver’s barrel.
Measuring the barrel length of a rifle
Generally, rifles’ barrel length is almost 30 inches. Sometimes, it can be from 20 inches to 26. Before you get into measuring the barrel length of a rifle, you should learn to unload the gun properly. It can be done by moving the rifle’s bolt handle toward the opposite direction of the barrel. It will automatically eject the bullets. If this doesn’t work, remove them using your hands. During this, make sure your gun is pointed towards the air in a safer direction.
For measurement of barrel length of a rifle, the steps are simple, i.e., the same as that of a revolver.
- Take a long rod and insert it into the barrel of the rifle. The diameter of the rod should be a little lesser as compared to that of the barrel.
- The next step is to mark the rod’s area, which touches the last tip of the rifle’s barrel.
- The third step is to take out the rod and measure the length between the rod’s ends inserted to the mark on the rod with an ordinary measuring instrument, i.e., meter rule, and here you get the barrel’s length of your rifle.
Measuring barrel length of a pistol
Pistols have barrel lengths of almost 5 to 6 inches, in general. For measuring the barrel length of a gun, you need to unload the weapon by ejecting the magazine and removing the bullets manually with your hand. Once you’re done, just follow up the steps to measure the length of the barrel.
- Point the pistol in a safe direction.
- Take a rod having a smaller diameter as compared to that of the pistol’s barrel.
- After that, insert the rod in the mussels and extend it to the point where the barrel ends.
- Mark the point on the road that touches the tip of the barrel.
- Now take the rod out of the barrel.
- Measure the length between the marked point and the other end of the rod, and you will get the size of your pistol’s barrel.
Importance of using a long barrel
As mentioned earlier, better accuracy and more velocity of the bullet are mostly our centers of focus in guns. The Thing is that guns having a long barrel are more accurate and faster speed than the shot being fired. It is the more time that the powder requires to burn, thus, pushing the bullet with higher velocity. In short-barreled guns, the barrels quickly cool. Besides, a gun also produces a big sound if it is short-barreled.
If the barrel of a gun is longer, the sight radius will also be longer. It improves the accuracy of the firearm with minimum or no error.
The parting words
Using the methods mentioned above, you can measure the barrel length of a pistol, revolver, or rifle. Besides, we can also use it for measuring the length of other arms. Just make sure to follow proper precautions to avoid any type of damage. Always practice these methods in a vacant area to ensure an appropriate safety. To learn more about measuring the barrel length, watch the video.
🏆 Measuring the barrel length of a revolver
The length of a revolver's barrel is the distance measured between..
🔍 Measuring the barrel length of a rifle
Take a long rod and insert it into the barrel of the rifle. The diameter of the rod should..
🤔 Importance of using a long barrel
Better accuracy and more velocity of the bullet are mostly our centers of focus in guns. The Thing is that..