By keeping all the hustle and bustle of the hectic life of the 21st century, every person here has some hobby to seek pleasure in leisure time. If you eliminate factors of risk, political and personal agendas, then shooting and shooting guns can be seen as entertaining hobbies.
No matter if you are a hunter or not, it can be exciting in your dull routine. While shooting some specific target or hunting, focusing on the target is the main thing that favors your success. Eye relief scope is one way to focus. Now the question arises: what is eye relief and eye relief scope?
What is eye relief?
Every optical instrument like a telescope, microscope, or shooting instrument, has a specific distance from its eyepiece within which the shooter can get a complete m screening angle. Shooters and hunters purchase guns or any other shooting equipment with comfortable eye relief.
If you are one of those who don’t have the opportunity of getting a strike in the face by your rifle, then relax. You are unaware of the specific design of the riflescope, also named eye relief. As discussed earlier, it is the distance between the lens and viewing angle.
What is scope eye relief?
When a person gets aware of the use of eye relief, then confusion comes in the selection of scope eye relief. The main reason behind this is that eye relief shows a discrepancy among brands of scopes. This variation is non-negotiable in short and long-ranges.
Two factors are noticeable for choosing scope eye relief.
- In case the eye relief of your rifle scope is not appropriate, then the peak point will hit upon your eyebrow. The recoiling of rifles in a backward direction can be the reason.
- Generally, as the magnification power of a shooting gun increases, the eye reliance on it decreases.
By keeping in mind the above two factors, eye relief is good for scope. In addition to this, find out that at what point the shooter’s cheek meets the stock physically when they raise the rifle to his shoulder. After resolving this mystery, you can slide the scope in the onward or rearward directions in the rings such that it matches eye relief.
If your scope meets the forehead, then you should find out or compute its eye relief. In case of many complications, then purchase a new one for the rifle. Your problem can almost be resolved.
How does scope eye relief get adjusted?
When the scope is adjusted, three main factors are important.
- Adjustment of eye relief
- Adjustment of scope level
- Finely tuning the scope’s eye lens focal point.
Knowing how to fine-tune your scope for your body is significant for the appropriate performance of eye relief. Here adjustment of eye relief is discussed.
- In the first position, the riflescope is in the rings. Place them gently on the top of the scope. The scope can still rotate. Moreover, it gets positioned at maximum power to make sure that exit pupil size is minimum. It will ensure faultless arrangement with minimum exit pupil.
- Then the rifle is mounted just like when you are upright to shoot. It enables you to view a full-size image through an intact eyepiece. If you are at a distance from the target, the image view is too close and small.
- They put the rifle on the shoulder. While putting it on your shoulder, you must be in the idyllic, relaxed position. The reason behind this is that you want to copy your natural point of aim. Immediately after coming to the most comfortable zone, open your eyes and check the eye relief. Then modify the scope to the ultimate node of the target.
- You can repeat the above-encoded step until your eye relief comes to your natural point of aim.
When will your scope eye relief be good?
The scope eye relief will get adjusted if the image fills the eye lens. There are no black boundaries around your display picture.
How does eye relief get measured?
Eye relief gets calculated in millimeters. It gets measured in inches. However, it differs depending on model to producer and nature of optic. For example, take a binocular. It may have 15mm adequate eye relief. But a riflescope’s eye relief ranges from 4 or 5 inches.
What is short and long eye relief?
Depending on the distance, it gets divided into
- Short eye relief
- Long eye relief
- Short eye relief
Short eye relief is present on average well-thought-out lower than 13 millimeters. It creates complications for those who use eyeglasses or rifle scopes vary on deep recoil rifles and rifle scopes having extreme magnification.
If you are free from eyeglasses, then this will not create many problems. But still, it looks like you are pressing the lens against your eye to have a complete view of a focal point.
- Long eye relief
People wearing glasses always feel trouble with eye relief less than 16 millimeters, so long eye relief is preferred. Long eye relief is well like anything around 20 to 24 millimeters for binoculars and four and a half inches in case of lengthy eye relief scope.
Standard eye relief for a rifle scope ranges between 3 to 3.5 inches. Firearms generally applied for sub 500 yard shooting with a light kick. But intense hunting, large-caliber rifles, and heavy-hitting rifles revolutionize optics.
Importance of eye relief
Studying about eye relief scope is very important for accurately shooting the eye point. The following steps are helpful for complete consideration.
- If you are getting hindrance for techs and specs, eye relief can help you handle the situation appropriately.
- Adjusting eye relief will protect you from an unpredicted slap on the face while letting off around.
If the eye gets positioned outside the suggested eye relief, the following troubles get experienced.
- Abrupt image
- Loss of light broadcast
- Decreased field of view
- Risk of striking by recoil
If you are still confused, go for this video for a better understanding: